Baltimore Aircoil Company is the global leader in sustainable solutions for evaporative cooling, thermal storage, and heat transfer equipment. The corporate headquarters is located in Howard County, Maryland, near Baltimore.
Our equipment is found in residential and commercial buildings to keep people comfortable, supermarket and cold storage warehouses to protect food and perishables, and industrial processes and power installations to improve efficiency and productivity. We are passionate about enhancing the quality of life through our technologies that reduce energy, water, and chemical usage. As a global leader, we are committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results.
Baltimore Aircoil Company is seeking a Thermal Engineer as a key member of the globally responsible Thermal Modeling Group. This engineer is charged with developing thermal models for BAC’s global product lines to address the thermal rating needs of the global engineering product platforms, new product introduction (NPI) initiatives, thermal modeling group scalability, innovation, sustaining activities, and regulatory certification. The position requires a background in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics with expertise in heat transfer. A technical knowledge of BAC products and applications, design for manufacturing, and general engineering principles is also required. The work is largely independent with direction provided as needed for unusual or complex problems. The individual is considered a key technical subject matter contributor with a need to interact with other global engineering groups and occasionally groups outside of global engineering.
NATURE & SCOPE
Reports to the Global Engineering Manager, Thermal Modeling Group.
- Develop thermal performance models, prediction software tools, and rating programs. Accurately interpolate test data and correlate data to fundamental models.
- Provide thermal engineering expertise and support to New Product Introduction. Perform or oversee prototype testing and data reduction.
- Participate in efforts to conduct thermal certification tests.
- Support innovation to identify opportunities for improving thermal performance through thermal modeling. Provide analysis and recommendations on concept behavior and enhancement.
- Review existing thermal modeling tools and technology to improve the efficiency and quality of thermal modeling process.
- Provide thermal technology sustaining support to existing product lines, including enhancing unit selection software tools, and assessing thermal performance for nonstandard unit configurations and installations.
- Prepares reports on complex projects. Make presentations at all levels of organization. Effectively communicates with both internal and external personnel.
- Monitors development in the industry pertaining to cooling tower performance, certification and emerging technical focus areas.
- Work closely with engineering platforms responsible for creating product models.
- Support existing product enhancement, cost reduction, and quality improvement initiatives.
- Understand and apply relevant codes and standards in the design and testing of products and components.
- Use standard and advanced technical and mathematical principles, theories, concepts, techniques, processes, and best practices in solving problems.
- Continuously increase expertise on all aspects of product design, theory, construction, operation, and application.
- Create an environment that influences positive change and makes structural design integrity an essential part of BAC’s culture.
- Strive for continuous improvement and teamwork in a global product development environment.
- Adhere to the Company’s Code of Conduct and Business Ethics standards.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Effective communication, written and verbal, with a globally diverse audience.
- Ability to work independently and with others on teams to understand and translate design and process engineering requirements into thermal test plans and thermal models.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams to develop and plan tasks.
- Ability to understand product/component function, reliability, and quality requirements.
- Understanding of HVAC/refrigeration systems and components preferred.
- Strong time management and project management skills.
- Education: B.S. degree in Mechanical or Chemical Engineering; Masters degree preferred. A strong emphasis in single-phase and multi-phase heat and mass transfer, fluid mechanics, psychrometrics, and thermodynamics. Graduate degree or graduate course or P.E. is a plus.
- Years of Experience: approximately 4-6 years of engineering experience with B.S. or 2-4 years of engineering experience with Masters; product development experience preferred; global experience preferred.
- Systems Experience: Intermediate Excel, PowerPoint, and Word; project management software skills preferred.
- Technical Expertise:
- Good scientific and engineering programming skills. Proficient with C#/C++, Matlab, EES, Microsoft Excel VBA programming and/or other widely used engineering computation software. Familiarity with developing customized software in Microsoft .NET platform (C# is preferred) a plus.
- Prior utilization of skills in technology and model development where thermodynamics and heat transfer combined with fluid dynamics are the primary basis. Able to work with analytical and CAD software.
- Competence with experimental work and laboratory testing. Good knowledge of pressure, temperature, flow, and velocity measurements.
- Independently applies theory and principles to engineering practice. Strong analysis and problem-solving ability.
- Inquisitive, self-motivated, dedicated and detail-oriented with excellent follow-through skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Travel as needed to global engineering centers in Europe and Asia, and occasionally as needed to regional manufacturing facilities, test laboratories, job sites, technical conferences, industry association meetings, etc.
- Working hours are the standard BAC 40 hours per week (8:30am-5:00pm with flexible start/finish times allowed).
- Travel, both domestically and internationally, can be up to 10% of the time.
- Occasional evening/weekend hours required, although the work can often be done from home with the use of a portable computer and a VPN connection.
- Primarily sedentary activity in the office will be experienced; however, periodic travel to BAC manufacturing facilities with mechanical assembly (medium work) and lifting being required.
- Must have close visual acuity to work with computer systems and virtual models
- Will typically be subjected to only indoor conditions; however on occasional trips to BAC manufacturing facilities, test laboratories, and job sites, the individual may experience heat, cold, humidity, and noise.
BAC is a division of Amsted Industries, a 100% employee-owned company. We offer a very competitive benefit package which includes medical, dental, life, and disability insurance. We also offer two retirement savings programs: (1) an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) which is fully company paid and (2) a 401(k) plan. Other benefits include 11 paid holidays per year, vacation time ranging from two to five weeks per year, tuition reimbursement, a wellness program featuring a fitness room at our corporate headquarters and much, much more. Baltimore Aircoil Company is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.