Baltimore Aircoil Company is the global leader in sustainable solutions for evaporative cooling, thermal storage, and heat transfer equipment. The corporate headquarters is located in Howard County, Maryland, near Baltimore.
Our equipment is found in residential and commercial buildings to keep people comfortable, supermarket and cold storage warehouses to protect food and perishables, and industrial processes and power installations to improve efficiency and productivity. We are passionate about enhancing the quality of life through our technologies that reduce energy, water, and chemical usage. As a global leader, we are committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results.
Baltimore Aircoil Company is looking for a Project Engineer to work within our global Structural Systems Group. This engineer is charged with providing structural design and testing support primarily to the global product platform engineering teams. The design and testing support is focused on product structural systems that must meet specified loading requirements within cost targets, project schedules, manufacturing capabilities, and regulatory requirements. The position requires a background in structural engineering with expertise in cold-formed steel design, and technical knowledge of BAC products and applications, design for manufacturing, and general engineering principles. The work is largely independent with direction provided as needed for unusual or complex problems. The individual is considered a key technical subject matter contributor with a need to interact extensively with global engineering and product management groups.
NATURE & SCOPE
Reports to the Global Engineering Chief Engineer, Structural Systems.
- Work with the global engineering product platform teams and product management to define the structural design, test, and certification requirements for new product development projects.
- Design product structural systems to meet specified loading requirements, including wind and seismic loads, within cost targets, project schedules, manufacturing capabilities, and regulatory requirements.
- Work closely with designers responsible for creating product virtual models, generating assembly and part drawings, and preparing bills of material.
- Review and approve structural design details and purchase part specifications.
- Support product prototyping used to validate new product designs and manufacturing strategies.
- Define and coordinate structural component testing projects as necessary.
- Define and coordinate test and certification programs such as for Factory Mutual (FM) and the California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development (OSHPD).
- Generate and maintain product structural analysis and design calculations, and design templates that are scalable.
- Generate environmental load capacity ratings, including wind and seismic load ratings, for product variants as necessary.
- Support existing product enhancement, cost reduction, and quality improvement initiatives.
- Work closely with global engineering platform group managers to promulgate and implement strategic structural initiatives.
- Understand and apply relevant codes and standards in the design and testing of product structural systems and components.
- Understand BAC design standards used in generating production drawings, purchased part specifications, and BOM’s.
- Use standard and advanced technical and mathematical principles, theories, concepts, techniques, processes, and best practices in solving problems.
- Continuously increase expertise on all aspects of product design, theory, construction, operation, and application.
- Create an environment that influences positive change and makes structural design integrity an essential part of BAC’s culture.
- Strive for continuous improvement and teamwork in a global product development environment.
- Adhere to the Company’s Code of Conduct and Business Ethics standards.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Effective communication, written and verbal, with a globally diverse audience.
- Ability to work independently and with others on teams to understand and translate design and process engineering requirements into structural system concepts.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams to develop and plan structural tasks.
- Ability to understand product/component function, reliability, and quality requirements.
- Understanding of HVAC/refrigeration systems and components preferred.
- Strong time management and project management skills.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Structural Engineering; Master’s degree preferred.
- Years of Experience: approximately 4-6 years of structural engineering experience with BS or 2-4 years of structural engineering experience with MS; product development experience preferred; global experience preferred.
- Professional Registration: PE or ability to receive PE within 2 years.
- Systems Experience: Intermediate Excel, PowerPoint, and Word; project management software skills preferred.
- Technical Expertise:
- Experience with advanced modeling tools, including Finite Element Analysis applications such as ANSYS and Autodesk Simulation.
- Experience with numerical analysis software including Mathcad.
- Knowledge of building codes and standards such as IBC and ASCE 7.
- Experience using material design specifications ANSI/AISC 360, AISI S100, and ASCE 8.
- Experience with structural testing methods, including seismic testing, preferred.
- Travel as needed to global engineering centers in Europe and Asia, and occasionally as needed to regional manufacturing facilities, test laboratories, job sites, technical conferences, industry association meetings, etc.
- Working hours are the standard BAC 40 hours per week (8:30am-5:00pm with flexible start/finish times allowed).
- Travel, both domestically and internationally, can be up to 15% of the time.
- Occasional evening/weekend hours required, although the work can often be done from home with the use of a portable computer and a VPN connection.
- Primarily sedentary activity in the office will be experienced; however, periodic travel to BAC manufacturing facilities with mechanical assembly (medium work) and lifting being required.
- Must have close visual acuity to work with computer systems and virtual models
- Will typically be subjected to only indoor conditions; however on occasional trips to BAC manufacturing facilities, test laboratories, and job sites, the individual may experience heat, cold, humidity, and noise.
BAC is a division of Amsted Industries, a 100% employee-owned company. We offer a very competitive benefit package which includes medical, dental, life, and disability insurance. We also offer two retirement savings programs: (1) an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) which is fully company paid and (2) a 401(k) plan. Other benefits include 11 paid holidays per year, vacation time ranging from two to five weeks per year, tuition reimbursement, a wellness program featuring a fitness room at our corporate headquarters and much, much more. Baltimore Aircoil Company is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.