To "Quick Apply", visit the posting on Indeed.com or simply email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (with "Brake Design Engineer" in the subject line). Note: We are unable to provide any visa sponsorship of any kind (including H1b or OPT) for this position—all applicants must have permanent legal ability to work in the United States.
Consolidated Metco (ConMet) is a leading global manufacturer of components for the commercial vehicle industry. We design, engineer, and manufacture proprietary wheel ends, aluminum castings and plastic components for the commercial vehicle market. Our team is made up of more than 6,000 people across the United States, Mexico and China. For more information about our company, visit our web site at www.conmet.com. ConMet is a subsidiary of Chicago-based Amsted Industries (www.amsted.com), one of the world’s largest transportation component manufacturers and one of America's largest 100% employee-owned (ESOP) companies.
The Mechanical Design Engineer (Brakes) will be responsible for the design of new gray iron brake product to fulfill customer needs, including 3D CAD models and 2D drawings, in support of existing brake rotor and drum products. In this role, you will be working on cross-functional teams with engineers from the wheel end design, test, and applications groups to validate and release products for customer specific brake configurations. In addition, this engineer will support production through new material development, and design for manufacturability (DFM) for casting, machining, and assembly.
This opportunity is open due to an internal promotion and will be based at ConMet's corporate headquarters in Vancouver, Washington (Portland metro area). For more ConMet HQ info, visit our local careers page at: https://www.conmet.com/locations/vancouver-wa-hq/
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts design activities based upon all available customer specifications and quality requirements.
- Conducts and document test activities which may include: Project Proposal, Planning, and Approval; 2D Drawing, 3D Modeling (permanent molds and prototypes), structural analysis, stress analysis, testing, and interpretation of results; Acting as Customer liaison for technical support, changes, and solution proposal; Interfacing with Tooling, Manufacturing, Sales and other ConMet functions both informally and in formal Design Reviews; Design Verification, Validation, and Release
- Identifies, creates, and manages controlled documents within the functional area in accordance with Engineering Procedures and Instructions.
- Generates and controls design activity documents (i.e. drawings, ECN’s, Test Reports, Specifications, Design Review Minutes, Bills of Ops, etc.).
- Supports creation and revision of testing requirements to ensure internal and external quality targets are met.
- Produces configuration documents that define product and process specifications, changes, and deviations from specifications.
- Specifies the tests to be performed, test equipment and facilities required, and the use of SPC for characteristics identified to be sensitive to process variance.
- Participates in material review meetings as necessary to assist in determining the cause of non-conformances.
- Contributes to corrective action in response to non-conformances; assess whether a design modification would contribute to a more effective solution.
- Documents engineering activities as described in approved Procedures and/or Instructions and forward them to the Engineering Document Administrator for retention as Quality Records.
- Conducts design and testing activities, which may include FMEAs, longevity analysis, fatigue analysis, tolerance stack-up probability, and analysis of test results; specify the application of SPC for characteristics identified to be sensitive to process variance.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's or Masters in Mechanical Engineering required
- One (1) or more years of mechanical design engineering work experience required (this may include internship experiences such as MECOP), Five (5) or more years of mechanical design engineering experience preferred
- Gray iron processing, iron foundry, and/or gray iron metallurgy experience highly preferred
- Vehicle brake system experience preferred
- Commercial vehicle industry experience a plus
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Sound engineering fundamentals
- Excellent mechanical aptitude
- Strong initiative to identify and resolve technical problems
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Exceptional customer focus with high attention to detail and product quality
- CAD and 2D/3D modeling and drafting
- DFMEA, PFMEA, and FEA experience (highly preferred)
- Ability to travel up to 20% on occasion
Note: All ConMet hires will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment criminal background check and drug test.
Compensation & Benefits
- Excellent base salary and targeted annual bonus structure
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including medical/dental/vision coverage, life and disability protection, and our innovative new vacation plan.
- Participation (100% company paid) in the ConMet/Amsted Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP)
- Company 401k program (with 5% company match)
- College tuition reimbursement (up to $5,000/year) and internal employee development programs
- Gym membership reimbursement (up to $50 per month)
ConMet is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
*For recently posted ConMet career opportunities, company news and product innovation updates, please follow us on LinkedIn at: https://www.linkedin.com/company/54513