Primary Job Function: The Sr. ABAP Developer performs day-to-day support, maintenance, and project activities to include developing custom programs, supporting existing customizations, and extending SAP functionality in each of the following functional areas: FI/CO, MM, PP, QM, and SD within Burgess Norton enterprise applications. This includes documenting technical requirements, prototyping conceptual design, development of working code to standards, unit testing, and working directly with end-user community to test and implement solutions. This role also continually investigates emerging technologies across the SAP and SAP partner ecosystem to support the evolution of BN’s enterprise technical footprint.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
- Design and deliver ABAP programming for an enterprise-wide ECC 6.0 release.
- Construct efficient and effective code through dialog programming, EDI/IDOC, ALV reports, ALE, BAPIs, BDC, LSMW, SAPScript/SMARTFORMS, RF Scanner / Handheld PCs.
- Lead effort to research, plan, and transition to SAP HANA.
- Research, review, and develop required skills for emerging technologies.
- Support SAP’s XI/PI environment, while continually expanding knowledge of toolset.
- Use coding standards to optimize performance and maintain version control.
- Leverage SDLC methodologies to deliver solutions.
- Utilize test driven development to deploy incremental functionality improvements
- Participate in discussions with key business users in order to understand requirements, clarify and define problems, propose and design solutions, and ultimately deliver an effective operational solution.
- Act as technical subject matter expert, including the ability to provide in-depth application support to internal/external project team members.
- Understand and anticipate critical business and information technology risks, issues, and roadblocks.
- Provide high quality documentation, as well as other written or verbal communications as required.
- Prepare project timelines and report status of projects, including any related issues to keep management, clients, and others informed.
- Assist in development of object specific training material and conduct all levels of training (user, support, etc.)
- Work with team members to ensure user acceptance for each release.
- Comply with SOX and internal IT procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline with additional practical experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ SAP applications support experience in manufacturing environment with clear understanding of ABAP toolset.
- SAP database schema – demonstrated expertise navigating database objects.
- Object-Oriented Development experience preferred.
- Practical experience with SDLC, including Agile, Waterfall and other project methodologies.