Baltimore Aircoil Company, Inc. is the global leader in sustainable solutions for evaporative cooling, thermal storage, and heat transfer equipment. The corporate headquarters is located in Howard County, Maryland, near Baltimore.
Our equipment is found in residential and commercial buildings to keep people comfortable, supermarket and cold storage warehouses to protect food and perishables, and industrial processes and power installations to improve efficiency and productivity. We are passionate about enhancing the quality of life through our technologies that reduce energy, water, and chemical usage. As a global leader, we are committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results.
BAC’s Technology R&D group discovers and develops game-changing technologies for the cooling industry. Successfully technologies developed in this group become part of our core technologies and global product offerings. The Technology R&D Engineer will be key for identifying, developing and qualifying these new technologies.
- Identify, develop and qualify new technologies that fit or further enhance the technology roadmap
- Analyze product performance data sets and develop custom models and algorithms
- Identify opportunities for technology, product, and system control and optimization based on the available data sets and models developed
- Design new test equipment, fixtures, and data acquisition and control systems
- Conduct and document test activities which may include thermal performance testing, airflow testing, structural analysis, thermal and pressure cycling testing, water quality testing, field testing, and interpretation of results
- Interface with Test Lab and Core Technology teams throughout technology discovery and development projects, including test plan development, execution and test data analysis
- Provide technical expertise to the Engineering organization. Contribute to corrective/improvement actions in response to test results; assess whether a design or technology modification would contribute to a more effective solution.
NATURE AND SCOPE
The Technology R&D Engineer will report to the Global Director, Technology R&D. As part of the Engineering Department, the Technology R&D Engineer will have frequent interaction with the Core Technology, Support Systems, Test Lab, and New Product Introduction groups within BAC and external technology development partners outside of BAC. The position will have no direct reports.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical or Electrical preferred with possibly a minor in Computer Science), with at least 4 years of experience as an engineer in a technology R&D environment (or a similar bachelor’s degree with at least 8 years of experience as an engineer in a technology R&D environment)
- Hands-on experience on design and setup of experiments and fixtures
- Hands-on experience in integration and customization of sensors and controls hardware and software
- Proficient with computer programming
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven ability to comprehend and develop testing specifications and carry out tests
- Experience with data analytics or machine learning, and modeling of time series data
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (including Word and Excel), possibly also Office365
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects and test execution plans at a given time
- Good understanding of thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, and fluid dynamics
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proven track record of successful technology discovery and development
- Familiarity with thermal-fluidics system testing
- Technical writing experience
- Ability to analyze, synthesize, and present results to a technical audience
- Ability to manage project budget
- Experience with Labview, Visual Basic, Matlab/Simulink, or other visual programming languages
- Strong understanding of statistical analysis and predictive modeling theory and applications
- Experience with Python and large data tools like Hadoop
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk up to 20% of the time. This position requires occasional lifting up to 40 pounds and travel both domestic and internationally up to 10% of the time.
BAC is a division of Amsted Industries, a 100% employee-owned company. We offer a very competitive benefit package which includes medical, dental, life, and disability insurance. We also offer two retirement savings programs: (1) an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) which is fully company paid and (2) a 401(k) plan. Other benefits include 11 paid holidays per year, vacation time ranging from two to five weeks per year, tuition reimbursement, a wellness program featuring a fitness room at our corporate headquarters and much, much more. Baltimore Aircoil Company is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.