We have an exciting opportunity for a Seals Product Development Engineer, at Amsted Seals and Forming. Born out of innovation within Amsted Rail, the Amsted’s Seals and Forming business was created to maximize and scale the disruptive spin-forming technology across high-impact applications within Amsted Industries and with external customers. Through direct sales and partnership programs, this business will continue to expand its service offering into new industry applications. Combined with the expertise and design foundation of Amsted’s long-standing seal businesses, it creates a rare combination of value and performance. As part of this new business, headquartered in Petersburg, Virginia, you will be an important partner in shaping the businesses continued growth and development.
As a Seals Product Development Engineer, you will be primarily responsible for engineering product design and development of seal products to meet customer needs from conception to realization. A successful candidate will assist in growing the company by generating marketable-engineered products and becoming a part of a global seal center of excellence across all Amsted Seals and Forming facilities including Petersburg (VA), Vancouver (WA), and Ningbo (China).
What you will do:
- Act as a driver of innovation within the Seals and Forming engineering teams.
- Establish and enforce good engineering practices for change management, documentation, new product introduction, product design, project management and continuous improvement
- Work with customer product development teams to establish and meet requirements with finished product designs
- Create and utilize design criteria and process capabilities for seal products
- Support plant quality assurance efforts for operations, joint venture partners, and purchased components
- Provide engineering support to joint venture partners when assigned
- Patent innovations in the seal products as they are created
- Create technical drawings and documentation for Seals and Forming business
- Run or participate in DFMEAs as required to deliver products for Seals and Forming customers
- Present compiled testing and product results to customers as part of the approval process when assigned
- Work with Research and Test Center to execute testing required for the development or approval of new products
- Compile capital project requests for NPI or other product related expenses
- Develop and maintain process expertise for FEA, CAD, and design methodology including the attendance of training and conferences on an as needed basis
- In conjunction with supply chain, interact with vendors to determine appropriate specification and arrange for the evaluation, purchase and acceptance of equipment, materials or services
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited university required
- Minimum of 5 years in Seal Design & Manufacturing
- Proven track record of accomplishments and experiences
- Willingness to travel, up to 25% of the time, as needed
- Must possess high energy and be highly adaptable to work in a nimble, innovative, and fast pace environment that supports a culture of continuous learning and development
- Must have ability to exercise independent judgement and creativity in problem solving
- Must be very approachable and able to develop strong professional relationships and foster involvement at all levels of organization including the customer
- Must be a self-starter, effectively working alone or as a member of a team
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively with and persuade employees
- Must have high attention to detail
- Strong understanding of FEA modeling and empirical testing methods for product validation
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
About Seals and Forming
We are a privately held, 100% employee-owned company! As an Amsted Seals and Forming employee, you are an owner. Our commitment to employee’s professional satisfaction includes creating space and opportunities to be creative and be an integral part of our innovation journey; for employee’s personal fulfillment, we invest in everyone’s growth and development while ensuring a work environment that values them as an individual, with their unique set of strengths and beliefs.
Amsted Seals and Forming is an industry leader that can offer more than a chance to succeed. Through our competitive wages, outstanding benefits, and internal development and advancement opportunities, you will have the chance to create a career of which you can be proud, whether inside Amsted Seals and Forming or within one of our other five businesses within Amsted Industries.
Benefits include being an employee-owner participating in our ESOP program and benefiting from an additional full range of benefits including medical, dental, vision and 401(k) with employer matching.
To learn more about us, please visit us online at www.amstedseals.com.