We have an exciting opportunity for an Operations Manager at Amsted Seals and Forming. Born out of innovation within Amsted Rail, the Amsted’s Seals and Forming business was created to maximize and scale the disruptive spin-forming technology across high-impact applications within Amsted Industries and with external customers. Through direct sales and partnership programs, this global business will continue to expand its service offering into new industry applications. Combined with the expertise and design foundation of Amsted’s long-standing seal businesses, it creates a rare combination of value and performance. As part of this new business, you will be an important partner in shaping the business’s continued growth and development as a strategic growth business for Amsted.
Our Center of Excellence for Seals and Forming is located in Petersburg, Virginia, and shares a campus with Amsted Rail’s Brenco Bearing Business which is not only a sister company but also provides to our business a high degree of shared service support while also being a significant customer. We have additional locations in Vancouver, WA and Ningbo, China, as well as a joint venture in Phillipsburg, NJ.
Our park-like campus in Petersburg consists of five manufacturing plants, an innovation center/iLab, and state-of-the-art R&D lab, and boasts a scenic stream and fishing pond and expansive grounds which are home to geese year-round! With barely a 30-minute commute from Richmond, we are easy to get to via both I-95 and I-295.
The Operations Manager for Seals will lead and motivate the operations team, focus on meeting the customer demands, maintain existing equipment and develop the existing and future process through direct reports and collaboration with support functions. This person will have leadership responsibilities for approximately 75 salaried and hourly employees across a 24/7 work schedule. As a business that is committed to providing a work environment that fosters engagement, empowerment and innovation, it is critical this leader represents these qualities to help instill these across the organization.
To accomplish the business objectives, the Operations Manager will work closely with the supply chain and engineering functions which include peer resources from Amsted Seals and Forming as well as those from Amsted Rail’s Brenco business. As such, it is imperative that this leader is strong in building formal and informal networks to build constructive work partnerships.
What you will do:
- Responsible for the profit and loss; directing preparation of operating and capital expenditure budgets and operating the plant within said budgets
- Lead day to day operations of the 24/7 manufacturing facility including EH&S, production planning and scheduling, productivity, quality assurance, process engineering, maintenance and repair
- Drive results for plant Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), including safety, quality, cost, delivery, absenteeism, training, compliance, on-time delivery, communications, etc.
- Select, develop, and motivate the team while demonstrating resourceful and masterful relationship-building by leveraging the resources available from the global Amsted Seals and Forming organization
- Identify capital requirements to deploy technologies that are adaptive and developmental in maintaining a competitive position
- Provide employee leadership in the achievement of common goals while providing a work environment that fosters innovation, engagement, inclusion and high-performance through effective positive employee relations
- Direct a team to define and deliver value for Amsted Seals & Forming and their customers
- Ensure compliance with local, state, and federal (as applicable) regulations in safety, hygiene, environmental and human resource areas
- Ensures proactive safe work practices
What we are looking for:
- Bachelors' Degree
- 5+ years of experience in manufacturing industry; cross-functional accountability preferred
- 5+ years of people management experience
- Additional preferences:
- Engineering, Technical, or Business Degree preferred
- 3+ years project management experience with demonstrated ability to define, track and deliver a project on-time, on-scope and on-budget
Professional Competency Requirements:
- Self-directed leader; must assess situations and adjust priorities as needed with little or no direction
- Must be very approachable and able to develop strong relationships and foster trust at all levels of organization, demonstrating ability to resolve conflict
- Strong technical capabilities to collaborate effectively with the technical teams within the organization and within our supporting organizations and customers
- Ability to build and lead effective teams, ensuring engagement, development and effective cross-training and succession planning
- Inclination for continuous learning
- Capable of defining, analyzing, and resolving complicated problems in a fast-paced ever-changing multi-cultural environment
- Exceptional analytical, organizational, and communication skills are required
- Experience with regulated quality systems (ISO 9001 is required)
- Strong computer skills (MS Office, SAP/ERP systems)
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
About Seals and Forming
We are a privately held, 100% employee-owned company! As an Amsted Seals and Forming employee, you are an owner. Our commitment to employee’s professional satisfaction includes creating space and opportunities to be creative and be an integral part of our innovation journey; for employee’s personal fulfillment, we invest in everyone’s growth and development while ensuring a work environment that values them as an individual, with their unique set of strengths and beliefs.
Amsted Seals and Forming is an industry leader that can offer more than a chance to succeed. Through our competitive wages, outstanding benefits, and internal development and advancement opportunities, you will have the chance to create a career of which you can be proud, whether inside Amsted Seals and Forming or within one of our other five businesses within Amsted Industries.
Benefits include being an employee-owner participating in our ESOP program and benefiting from an additional full range of benefits including medical, dental, vision and 401(k) with employer matching.
To learn more about us, please visit us online at www.amstedseals.com.