Note: We are unable to provide any visa sponsorship of any kind (including H1b or OPT) for this position—all applicants must have permanent legal ability to work in the United States.
Consolidated Metco (ConMet) is a leading global manufacturer of components for the commercial vehicle industry. We design, engineer, and manufacture proprietary wheel ends, aluminum castings and plastic components for the commercial vehicle market. Our team is made up of more than 6,000 people across the United States, Mexico and China. For more information about our company, visit our web site at www.conmet.com. ConMet is a subsidiary of Chicago-based Amsted Industries (www.amsted.com), one of the world’s largest transportation component manufacturers and one of America's largest 100% employee-owned (ESOP) companies.
The Test Technician Supervisor at ConMet's expanding Test Center is responsible for conducting tests and acquiring data during prototype and testing activities, as directed by the Test Engineer or Engineering Manager. This supervisor creates test fixtures as well as maintains test machines and equipment. The role is also responsible for provides training and hands-on support to technicians and new hires from any ConMet group, as well as preparing work instruction procedures and R&D reports.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conducts Engineering activities in accordance with policies, plans, procedures, instructions and standards.
• Understands and implements the ConMet Quality Policy as applied to the functions of this position.
• Implements continuous improvements in support of the ConMet Quality Policy.
• Conducts test activities based upon all available customer specifications and quality requirements.
• Manages control documents within the functional area in accordance with engineering procedures and instructions.
• Performs tests for design verification, design validation and benchmarking.
• Performs fatigue testing of ConMet and competitor components.
• Documents test activities with instructions, forms, standards and specifications as necessary.
• Conducts and documents test activities as directed by the Test Engineer or Engineering Manager.
• Generates and controls test activity documents such as test activity sheets and test reports.
• Performs calibration inspections, measuring and maintenance of test equipment that is used to determine conformance of products to specifications. Discontinues the use of any measuring equipment when the calibration cycle has expired.
• Provides all necessary specifications and requirements to Purchasing for inclusion on purchase orders; including product descriptions, supplier quality requirements and references the current revision levels on drawings and specifications.
• Identifies hubs to be tested. Properly completes test activity sheets and test reports with the R&D number indicated on the test request.
• Participates in material review meetings as necessary to assist in determining the cause of non-conformances.
• Contributes to corrective actions in response to non-conformances.
• Supervises Test Technicians.
• Documents engineering activities as described in approved procedures and/or work instructions and forwards them to the Engineering Database System for retention as quality records.
• Participates in internal quality audits as requested by management.
• Participates in safety and environmental audits and maintains safety and training records.
• Participates in vocational and quality system training, as directed by the Test Engineer or Engineering Manager.
• Forwards training information to the Engineering Document Administrator for retention on a professional development record.
Education and Experience:
- Significant experience (typically 3 or more years) supervising technicians and/or other technical/engineering staff required
- Significant Test Technician experience (typically 5 or more years) required
- Bachelor's or Associate’s Degree (in Engineering or other technical field) a major plus
- Strong mechanical experience and aptitude
- Basic fabrication ability and machine shop experience
Preferred Job Experience and Knowledge includes areas such as:
- Commercial vehicle or Automotive systems.
- Knowledge of control systems (Labview).
- Knowledge of data acquisition (SoMat, OMEGA Loggers).
- Knowledge of hub products and truck components.
- Knowledge of strain gauging and instrumentation.
- Knowledge of thermocouples and instrumentation.
- Knowledge of commercial air brake systems.
- Knowledge of machine shop equipment such as drill press, lathe and mill.
- Ability to understand technical publications such as parts, operation and maintenance manuals.
Compensation & Benefits
- Excellent base salary and targeted annual bonus structure
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including medical/dental/vision coverage, life and disability protection, and our innovative new vacation plan.
- Participation (100% company paid) in the ConMet/Amsted Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP)
- Company 401k program (with 5% company match)
- College tuition reimbursement (up to $5,000/year) and internal employee development programs
- Gym membership reimbursement (up to $50 per month)
ConMet is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
*For recently posted ConMet career opportunities, company news and product innovation updates, please follow us on LinkedIn at: https://www.linkedin.com/company/54513