Means Industries, headquartered in Saginaw, MI, is a Tier 1 global automotive supplier of high value transformational propulsion-system technologies. Means leverages its unique process and product design capabilities to produce award winning innovations that improve fuel economy and reduce mass through its Controllable Mechanical Diode (CMD) Selectable One Way Clutch, Advanced Metal-Forming and Joining Capabilities, and our emerging Dynamic Clutch Technologies that are designed to enable efficient Propulsion Electrification.
Established in 1922, Means continues to foster a culture of collaboration through two business units, Means Propulsion Systems and Means TransForm Products. Our passion for problem solving drives everything we do and we remain committed to producing high quality innovative technology solutions at our three manufacturing facilities in Saginaw, Michigan; two manufacturing facilities in Sterling Heights, Michigan; a manufacturing facility in Shelby Township, Michigan; a manufacturing facility in London, Ontario, Canada and a Sales and Engineering Office in both Tokyo, Japan and Shanghai, China. For more information about our company, please visit our website (www.meansindustries.com).
Means is a division of Amsted Industries (www.amsted.com), one of the world’s largest transportation component manufacturers. Based in Chicago, Amsted specializes in products that serve the rail, heavy-duty vehicle, automotive, construction and general industrial markets. Amsted has 45 manufacturing facilities in 11 countries and employs more than 16,000 people throughout the world. Amsted is one of the largest 100 percent employee-owned companies in the United States.
Means Propulsion Systems, a business unit of Means Industries, designs, tests and produces some of the most sophisticated products for the global Propulsion industry. Core technologies (traditional and electrified propulsion) include Selectable One-Way Clutches, Mechanical Diode One Way Clutches, Dynamic Controllable Mechanical Diodes and Integrated Shifting Systems. Our engineers deliver robust engineering and manufacturing solutions by partnering with customers from the conceptual phase straight through to design and integration. Means Propulsion Systems has a manufacturing facility in Saginaw, Michigan and Sales and Engineering Offices in Tokyo, Japan and Shanghai, China. For more information about our company, please visit our website (www.meansindustries.com).
NO RECRUITERS PLEASE
For more information about our company, visit our web site at www.meansindustries.com.
Designs, develops, and improves new and existing products in conformance to customer specifications. Directs fabrication, conducts build, and directs testing of prototypes. Analyze design concepts for fit, function, manufacturability, and ease of assembly. Coordinate engineering activities between the Customer, Product Engineering, Manufacturing, Purchasing, Sales/Marketing, and the supply base.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares and maintains timing charts for various program phases.
- Develop relationships with customer’s advanced design and development product engineers.
- Design oneself and/or direct CAD Operators in the design of new products. Submit design work requests as required to obtain support.
- Verify that designs meet all customer prototype specifications and requirements through analysis. Including:
- Writing and reviewing work order with CAE department
- Hand calculations as verification of CAE work
- Interpreting and applying results to demonstrate acceptable performance or modify for improved performance.
- Direct testing to insure customer prototype parts meet or exceed specification. Including
- Write test plans
- Develop necessary tests
- Instruct test lab how to complete necessary tests
- Document test results internally and externally, complete conclusions, and make recommendations based on test results.
- Coordinates the fabrication of prototypes. Assemble prototypes and document builds in conformance with customer/internal requirements.
- Prepare engineering cost studies by working with purchasing and manufacturing to obtain cost estimates.
- Establish test requirements and procedures, prepare product test plans, direct product testing, review test results, prepare reports, and communicate results to internal and external customers.
- Participate in Means Innovation initiatives.
- Liaison with internal and external manufacturing, operations and assembly personnel to insure that prototype designs can be manufactured at reasonable cost
- Initiates design FMEA’s or customer equivalent for new products when required
- Prepares/supports root cause analysis and prepares documentation as required by customer as part of failure analysis.
- Helps prepare marketing and competitor analysis studies to aid in strategic planning and capital programs.
- When necessary, liaison with Means manufacturing facilities in areas of product design, manufacturing, assembly, and process improvement.
- Prepares Product Submission Warrants for prototype sample submissions, per customer requirements.
- Work with Quality Department to create prototype build control plans and build process flow sheets.
- Initiates design and development for new and improved products.
- Prepares and participates in formal training and technical presentations for customers as well as internal personnel.
- Acts as a Team Leader for development programs and as a mentor for co-op/ summer engineering students and Means Product Application Engineers. Help guide and monitor others that are on the team to ensure goals and timing are met.
Education: Must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering. A Master’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering is desirable.
- 5 years minimum in electrical component engineering capacity.
- 3 years minimum in automotive/light truck product environment. Experience in automotive powertrain/drive-line components, transmission power flows and transmission component function required.
- Successful launching of a product with an Automotive OEM preferred.
- Able to fully characterize electromechanical actuation systems:
- DC motors
- Sensors (Hall, Inductive)
- Knowledge of PCB assembly and testing
- Knowledge of CAN or LIN communication preferred but not required
- Matlab/Simulink or equivalent
- Detailed knowledge of
- Over molding
- Coil winding
- Mechanical properties of magnets
- Thermal effects on actuators and PCB’s
- Electromagnetic compatibility
Means supports and cultivates creativity through a collaborative cross functional work environment. By nurturing innovation at all levels of the company, Means’ desire for progress and improvement helps launch pioneering, transformative technologies within the automotive industry.
With a high level focus on people development, you can grow and develop through diverse work experiences and quality training opportunities. Means is experiencing exponential growth and supports a culture where employees take pride and ownership in their work. As an employee owned company, you will recognize your direct impact on the business and be part of its success (US Only).
Means offers a comprehensive range of benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) with employer matching, a health savings account with contribution for US employees and an excellent retirement package.
Means is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.