This position will have responsibility for Operational Excellence work streams and will help lead the organization’s capability in knowledge and understanding of metrics and measurements which impact the total performance of the organization. This position is responsible for leading the identification, planning, and implementation of improvements in and/or additions to processes that directly affects safety and environmental systems and manufacturing productivity. The position has flexibility to be located in Southfield or Saginaw, MI Means Industries location.
- Ensure that the Operational Excellence methodology is utilized to drive sustainable manufacturing and business process improvements that optimize capacity and productivity, reduce lead-time, minimize inventories, introduce best practices and improve process flow.
- Supports process improvement and implementation in safety and environmental systems.
- Monitor and control G&O program, 5S, Kaizen and value stream mapping. Assists leadership in establishing baseline and target metrics for key processes.
- Mentor, coach, and train employees on Operational Excellence standards, tools, and metrics and travel to other sites as necessary.
- Lead a consistent approach across the organization in lean projects, i.e., SMED, Lean Production, Lean Support, with the Production, Process Development, Manufacturing Engineering and support functions, and work with local management to help create the Lean Vision for the plant.
- Lead facility layout and design projects with the engineering and manufacturing teams. This includes creating designs, updating drawings, process flows, & Value Stream Maps that clarify and/or resolve relevant operational issues.
- Support value improvement and waste elimination projects for the manufacturing and overhead areas that drive plant and company performance improvements while championing the development and advancement of the lean culture within the organization.
- Develops an implementation plan, conducts risk assessments and develops contingency plans to accommodate unforeseen events. Recognizes and removes barriers to project completion.
- Recognizes the broader implications of actions and proposals on the overall business.
- Support production in the creation of visual staffing plans, lean deployment, and standard work sequencing and production task time adherence.
- Participates in project performance team meetings in order to provide ideas, methods, or processes for performance improvement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BS/BA Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 5 years’ professional experience executing large, cross functional national initiatives or related continuous improvement/project management roles.
- Background in manufacturing, preferably within a Tier 1 Automotive supplier.
- Experience with the following methodologies and practices: FMEA, Kaizen, Lean tools, 5S, Visual Factory Aids, SMED concepts, VSM, VOC and Poke Yoke. Lean / 6 Sigma Certification, American Society for Quality Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence or American Society for Quality Certified Quality Engineer.
- Facilitation and coaching skill.
- Experience troubleshooting and finding multiple solutions to a complex problem.
- Experience working within both a team environment and independently
- Shingo lean approach. Change management, specifically the ability to influence and promote cultural change.
- Ability to develop relationships across the business that help create a culture of continuous improvement.
- Able to sustain improvement initiatives across the organization.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to interrelate well with personnel at all levels and possess good oral and written English communication skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong analytical/statistical problem-solving skills.