Baltimore Aircoil Company is the global leader in sustainable solutions for evaporative cooling, thermal storage, and heat transfer equipment. The corporate headquarters is located in Howard County, Maryland, near Baltimore.
Our equipment is found in residential and commercial buildings to keep people comfortable, supermarket and cold storage warehouses to protect food and perishables, and industrial processes and power installations to improve efficiency and productivity. We are passionate about enhancing the quality of life through our technologies that reduce energy, water, and chemical usage. As a global leader, we are committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results.
The Global Engineering Manager – Condenser Product Platform will lead a group of engineers and designers in the system/design development for a specific product line. This includes responsibility for features, schedule management, and product cost. The position requires technical knowledge of our product application, concept development, detailed design, system performance, component interaction to develop a final product, reliability of the system, design for manufacturing, and general engineering fundamentals. Work will be independent and the position looked at as a leader of all items related to product category assigned. Interaction will be from a technical perspective to the leadership counterparts of product management, manufacturing, supply chain, and other engineering functions as related to the responsible product category.
NATURE & SCOPE
The Global Engineering Manager – Condenser Product Platform reports directly to the Global Director, Platform Engineering; direct reports include engineers and designers.
- Responsible to manage engineering team for the on-time completion of new product development projects, sustaining activities, and all items related to product category.
- Manages group of engineers and designers to execute on product design requirements and optimum solutions, and to maintain current offering for customer and manufacturing.
- Manages engineering resources to identify and implement product improvements and cost-out opportunities across the product category assigned.
- Owns product category test criteria, laboratory testing, and test data to identify and optimize product performance characteristics.
- Manages group designers for drawing and BOM layout concepts and system configurations.
- Uses standard and advanced technical and mathematical principles, theories, concepts, techniques, processes, and best practices in field.
- Proficient in mechanical design and be able to conceptualize and implement design ideas into the product.
- Continuously increases expertise on all aspects of our product design, theory, construction, operation, and applications.
- Accountable for meeting all global product category regulatory codes such as CTI, Eurovent, GB, UL, ASME, CE, PED and any others as required.
- Strives for continuous improvement and teamwork in a global product development and process environment.
- Adheres to the Company’s Code of Conduct and Business Ethics standards.
- Travel semi-regularly to Global BAC Design Centers (Shanghai, Jessup, Heist), and occasionally as needed to manufacturing facilities, suppliers, trade shows; combined up to 35% including internationally
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Effective communication, written and verbal, with a globally diverse audience
- Ability to work independently and manage design teams to understand and translate design and process engineering requirements into product line design components, subsystems and products.
- Ability to work with cross-functional product management and manufacturing teams to manage and lead teams in developing project scopes and timelines.
- Ability to understand product/component function, reliability and quality requirements
- Ability to manage multiple teams running concurrent products in parallel.
- Collaborate with Quality/Reliability/Manufacturing/Sourcing to implement key metrics into the design of the product and ensure all reliability design goals are achieved
- Understanding of HVAC/Refrigeration, circulating air blower systems, heating & cooling systems (including refrigeration psychrometrics), and/or electrical system requirements in order to assess internal data and supplier data
- Fully developed professional able to work without direct guidance or direction from others and manage complex situations requiring resource and trade off analysis.
- Strong time management and product development skills
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Years of Experience: Minimum 7-10 years of experience with BS Engineering or 7-10 years of experience with MS Engineering degree preferred; Engineering experience required. Minimum of 5 years of product development experience preferred.
- Systems Experience: Intermediate Excel, Powerpoint, Word skills; Basic Project Management skills preferred.
- Technical Expertise:
- Experience with Fluid Flow, Heat Transfer, Airflow
- Design of Experiments; experience w/ HALT (or equivalent) preferred
- Familiarity w/ engineering selections for components and equipment, such as fans, pumps, piping, etc.
- Ability to quickly research and find technical information on the web, in textbooks and in journals
- Understanding of Sound and/or Vibration measurement and analysis preferred
- Ability to interpret results of FEA/CFD, and understand potential flaws in setup
- Ability to manage a group budget
- Working hours are the standard BAC 40 hours per week (8:30am-5:00pm with flexible start/finish times allowed)
- Travel, both domestic and international, can be up to 35% of the time
- Occasional evening/weekend hours required, although can often be done from home with the use of a portable computer.
- Primarily Sedentary Activity in the office will be experienced; however periodic travel to BAC manufacturing facilities with assembly (medium work) is required.
- Must have close visual acuity to work with computer systems and virtual models
- Will typically be subjected to only indoor conditions; however on occasional trips to BAC manufacturing facilities, the worker may experience heat, cold, humidity, and noise.
BAC is a division of Amsted Industries, a 100% employee-owned company. We offer a very competitive benefit package which includes medical, dental, life, and disability insurance. We also offer two retirement savings programs: (1) an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) which is fully company paid and (2) a 401(k) plan. Other benefits include 11 paid holidays per year, vacation time ranging from two to five weeks per year, tuition reimbursement, a wellness program featuring a fitness room at our corporate headquarters and much, much more. Baltimore Aircoil Company is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.