Baltimore Aircoil Company is the global leader in sustainable solutions for evaporative cooling, thermal storage, and heat transfer equipment. The corporate headquarters is located in Howard County, Maryland, near Baltimore.
Our equipment are found in residential and commercial buildings to keep people comfortable, supermarket and cold storage warehouses to protect food and perishables, and industrial processes and power installations to improve efficiency and productivity. We are passionate about enhancing the quality of life through our technologies that reduce energy, water, and chemical usage. As a global leader, we are committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results.
The Controls Engineer will lead the strategic development and product platform design for the electromechanical control systems of BAC’s product lines. This includes responsibility for developing controls engineering infrastructure and design strategies to support the required features and product cost targets for the range of BAC’s product offering.
- Lead or support projects and provide technical support through the activities listed below
- Supports features that require data communication into and out of the BAC unit for connection to customer building management systems and other control systems.
- Investigate and analyze product design requirements and present optimum solutions
- Design systems to control fan motors, pumps, valves, safety switches, heating elements, sensors, and other features which utilize electrical and/or mechanical control inputs and/or outputs to the system
- Simulate the function of a control system, and develop robust control algorithms, using commercial optimization software
- Participate in New Product Development (NPD) project teams
- Establish test criteria, participate in laboratory testing, and analyze test data to identify and optimize product performance characteristics
- Help define and implement “best practice” rules for engineering documentation and activities to promote standardization across engineering functions
- Identify and implement improvements to engineering processes to increase productivity and quality of deliverables
- Identify and implement product improvements and cost-out opportunities
- Independently write Engineering Change Notices to communicate design / documentation changes
- Learn, apply, and keep current with regulatory codes and standards such as IEC, NEC, UL, FM, and associated electrical codes in markets BAC participates in globally
- Prepare and present technical training to all levels of the organization
- Provide guidance on product configuration and documentation structure and development
- Provide technical support for Marketing, Applications, Sales, Manufacturing, and Customer Assurance departments
- Use industry accepted best practices and current code compliant designs in all relevant work
- Translate business needs, customer requirements, and project specifications into functional designs that meet quality, productivity and cost targets
- Partner with the product design team in the generation of drawings, wiring diagrams, bills of material, and system configurator
- Work with vendors to evaluate and qualify alternative suppliers, and to support targeted cost reduction / quality improvement projects
NATURE & SCOPE
The Controls Engineer reports directly to the Director, New Product Development. As part of the New Product Development team, the Controls Engineer. This role will have significant interaction with cross functional teams. This role will have significant interaction with third party vendors and outside customers.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related discipline. Advanced degree or P.E. a plus.
- 8+ years of experience in engineering with technical project management experience, with a minimum of 2 years in HVAC required
- 5+ years of experience in developing electro-mechanical control systems, experience with HVAC control systems preferred
- 2+ years of experience with commercial optimization software such as MATLAB, LabView, or Simulink and in developing software for programmable logic controllers (PLCs), Carel 1Tool preferred
- Experience with integrated communications via building management system protocols such as BACNet, LonWorks, and Modbus
- Demonstrated capability with Microsoft Office, VBA experience and AutoCAD family of products.
- Previous experience in laboratory testing processes, including instrumentation and measurement techniques.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk up to 50% of the time. This position requires occasional lifting up to 30 pounds and travel both domestically and internationally up to 25% of the time.
BAC is a division of Amsted Industries, a 100% employee-owned company. We offer a very competitive benefit package which includes medical, dental, life, and disability insurance. We also offer two retirement savings programs: (1) an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) which is fully company paid and (2) a 401(k) plan. Other benefits include 11 paid holidays per year, vacation time ranging from two to five weeks per year, tuition reimbursement, a wellness program featuring a fitness room at our corporate headquarters and much, much more. Baltimore Aircoil Company is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.