Baltimore Aircoil Company is the global leader in sustainable solutions for evaporative cooling, thermal storage, and heat transfer equipment. The corporate headquarters is located in Howard County, Maryland, near Baltimore.
Our equipment is found in residential and commercial buildings to keep people comfortable, supermarket and cold storage warehouses to protect food and perishables, and industrial processes and power installations to improve efficiency and productivity. We are passionate about enhancing the quality of life through our technologies that reduce energy, water, and chemical usage. As a global leader, we are committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results.
EHS Manager is responsible for the development, leading and sustaining of plant safety and environmental initiatives to ensure a safe and healthy workplace for employees. It is also accountable for the highest level of corporate environmental and safety compliance towards our community. Primary role is to continuously reduce and eliminate risks to both the workforce and the environment. This is achieved through engagement of the workforce, leading teams, and by assuring compliance with applicable federal and state environmental and safety regulations; and maintaining compliance with all BAC/AMSTED EHS policies and procedures. Responsibility for approximately $400K budget and influence over more significant budgets and financial impact/exposure in the facility.
NATURE & SCOPE
This position reports to the Plant Manager with a dotted line responsibility to the Global Manager EHS. The position also works closely with the Facility, Production and Human Resources functions in a hands-on capacity related to continuous improvement, corrective actions and problem solving. This position may have up to 2-3 direct reports.
- Supervise direct reports and provide leadership to Safety Team and Plant Leadership. Develop both to assume leadership roles in meetings and to drive plant safety initiatives
- Effectively negotiate vendor accounts and manage budgets to within annual limits
Lead all inter-departmental BAC Safety Processes including, Shop Safety Committee, Monthly Safety Inspections, Near Miss Program, Safety Observation Program, EHS Training, Incident Investigation, Risk Assessment and Reduction, and Personal Protective Equipment
- Direct responsibility over various aspects of plant safety including, but not limited to; Chain/crane safety, lock-out/tag-out program, industrial trucks, confined space entry, hazardous material handling, machine guarding and training, noise and atmospheric monitoring, welding and compressed gas safety, coating safety, accident investigation and follow-up
- Direct responsibility over various aspects of employee safety including, but not limited to: Emergency response, fall protection, respirator safety, evaluation of personal protective equipment, safety team, first aid supplies, job safety analyses, monthly safety training, safety awareness and promotion program
- Direct plant’s environmental programs related to air emissions, waste water, solid and hazardous waste, etc.
- Lead root cause analysis of safety and environmental incidences including data collection, analytics, and proposal of process improvements
- Lead sustainability efforts through coordination of departmental waste reduction programs
- Keep current with all Local and Federal regulations and transmit information to affected parties and work closely with other BAC EHS resources to align procedures and processes.
- Prepare, review, and approve all external documentation to meet AMSTED/BAC and local, State, and Federal Safety and Environmental requirements.
- Oversee plant’s chemical purchasing, handling, and disposal program
- Develop systems to ensure all permitted activities are in compliance
- Oversee visitor compliance in accordance with applicable laws and BAC policies
- Responsible for all regulatory audits related to Safety and Environment. Primary contact for agency on-site visits.
- Familiarization with other Operational aspects of the plant while serving as a contributing member of the plant leadership team
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Plant Manager, Global Manager of EHS, or an Operations Executive.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- B.S. degree in Public Health, Environmental Studies, Occupational Health & Safety or Engineering
- 10+ years of experience Federal and State environmental regulations as well as OSHA standards in a manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated expertise in management programs, records management, data analysis, and process analysis
- Strong business writing and verbal presentation skills are required
- Demonstrated skill in leading teams and managing projects
- Demonstrated ability to employ analytical techniques and conduct root cause analysis
- Demonstrated ability and acumen to be a leader in an Operational Cross-Functional team.
The working conditions are those typical of a manufacturing environment. The regular working hours are Monday through Friday - dayshift, but require availability for all shifts and weekends for periodic meetings, trainings, or incidence response. Travel up to 10%. Additionally the position will require an individual to occasionally lift up to 25 pounds, work in a variety of positions to perform inspection and training activities while working in both an office and manufacturing (plant) environment.
BAC is a division of Amsted Industries, a 100% employee-owned company. We offer a very competitive benefit package which includes medical, dental, life, and disability insurance. We also offer two retirement savings programs: (1) an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) which is fully company paid and (2) a 401(k) plan. Other benefits include 11 paid holidays per year, vacation time ranging from two to five weeks per year, tuition reimbursement, a wellness program featuring a fitness room at our corporate headquarters and much, much more. Baltimore Aircoil Company is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.