Baltimore Aircoil Company is the global leader in sustainable solutions for evaporative cooling, thermal storage, and heat transfer equipment. The corporate headquarters is located in Howard County, Maryland, near Baltimore.
Our equipment is found in residential and commercial buildings to keep people comfortable, supermarket and cold storage warehouses to protect food and perishables, and industrial processes and power installations to improve efficiency and productivity. We are passionate about enhancing the quality of life through our technologies that reduce energy, water, and chemical usage. As a global leader, we are committed to a world of sustainable progress and enduring results.
POSITION PURPOSE & SCOPE
The Business Manager role is a key leader in the organization and is responsible for the leadership and execution of all sales, marketing and overall business activities in the market segment toward the achievement of profitable growth beyond the current level. The market includes commercial applications (healthcare, office, education, government) as well as some light industrial applications (data centers, assembly plants, central utility plants).
The Business Manager will assist in refining our long-term strategic growth plan for the market segment and in developing operating plans annually. The core function of the role is to lead the organization to the successful achievement of the operating plan, executing initiatives as laid out in the plan.
The Business Manager will maintain and enhance the existing channel of sales offices, developing and executing plans and programs to continuously improve channel performance and sales execution. The person in this role will lead a team of Regional Sales Managers who are responsible for the health and strength of the channel in their region, and for product promotion efforts and overall sales performance.
This position has 5 direct reports located throughout the country, with a potential for 7. The Business Manager will drive initiatives and execute with other functional leaders in the organization (engineering, manufacturing, finance, marketing, quality, IT, and human resources), working collaboratively to ensure the effective execution of business plans and long-term strategies.
This assigned home location for this position is the Jessup, Maryland Office.
- Drive annual sales and achieve price targets per the annual operating plan.
- Achieve profitable growth in accordance with financial targets as planned.
- Deliver monthly and quarterly top line performance and operating expense budgets as planned.
- Assist in the update and enhancement of the strategic plan to ensure that the business remains strategically-focused and is allocating resources optimally.
- Develop and execute creative and powerful initiatives that propel the business to successful achievement of the strategic plan and profitable growth year-to-year.
- Develop and execute new product launch strategies in alignment and collaboration with North America Marketing teams, including sales aids and tools; tradeshows and roadshows; internal and external communications, sales and product training and other sales and marketing initiatives.
- Manage, coach, mentor and develop a team of Regional Sales Managers through the setting of SMART objectives, consistent and comprehensive measurement of key performance indicators and coaching.
- Hold the team accountable for performance to these indicators, appropriately rewarding and recognizing when appropriate. Implement performance improvement plans to correct deficiencies.
- Provide leadership and guidance to develop customer relationships, capture sales opportunities and drive the business to meet the established financial goals for the business.
- Track, analyze and report on sales performance by region and by sales office for all products, differentiated product content, aftermarket parts, and specifically on new products.
- Working with leaders from around the business, drive key initiatives that support business goals through other areas of the business, such as quality, plant operations, engineering, IT, etc.
- Further develop BAC’s sales channels, including channel evaluation, selection, objective setting, performance management, and development of skills and knowledge.
- Identify opportunities for improvements in sales channel and support with business cases.
- Selectively pursue and effectively manage strategic account relationships with key accounts.
- Identify and set expectations of each representative office through the development of standard objectives for orders, price, participation in marketing programs, succession planning, etc.
- Develop and execute initiatives to increase business performance among existing representation and key accounts. Drive Regional Sales Managers to do the same in their regions.
- Build rapport and develop strong business relationships with not just sales representative firm principals, but also key accounts.
- In conjunction with the Product Marketing Team, establish and maintain pricing strategy for all products. Measure performance by product and implement initiatives to enhance as needed.
- In collaboration with marketing teams, initiate market research and execute as needed, working with BAC’s sales network to collect, analyze and recommend new market, channel, and product initiatives.
- Provide ongoing feedback to NA Marketing to ensure that products, programs and communications are meeting the needs of customers and representatives. Feed competitive analysis efforts.
- Lead and manage the Representative Advisory Board and maintain a regular cadence of Board engagements and a continuous effort to collect feedback, taking action on that feedback as appropriate
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, or equivalent experience, with high technical aptitude
- At least 10 years management experience in a comparable industry, with a proven track record of market penetration and incremental sales increases. MBA preferred.
- Ability to plan and manage at both the strategic and operational levels.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff in a fast-paced, results-driven organization
- Capacity to assume more significant responsibilities within two to three years.
- 5+ years of experience managing third party representative sales channels
- Working knowledge of HVAC systems and applications; evaporative cooling experience helpful.
- Excellent communication skills internally to senior executives and externally to large audiences
- Ability to craft compelling sales and marketing scripts and stories for use in training and collateral
- Ability to work successfully in challenging and ambiguous situations with persistence and energy
- Highly competitive nature with a strong desire to win and develop a track record of success.
- Extensive leadership, practical experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Comfort leading a team, leading cross-functionally, and leading a network of independent sales offices.
- Exceptional leadership skills, including vision setting and consensus building
- Proven ability to lead, articulate vision, inspire and influence internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to understand the organization's strategic objectives and teach, develop and inspire others for the achievement of those strategic objectives.
- Strategic acumen: Understands strategies and is able to execute and deliver results to support them.
- Sense of urgency and agility: Ability to operate with a high sense of urgency, operating steadily, efficiently and effectively to lead and execute initiatives in parallel in a fast-paced environment.
- Technical knowledge and expertise: Strong grasp of products, their applications and their value to customers. Ability to translate the technical aspects of our products and processes into compelling value statements for customers and stakeholders.
- Business Knowledge: Understands the key business drivers and unique needs of BAC customer groups and channel partners.
- Communication skills: Can clearly and compellingly articulate the value BAC offerings to key markets and customers in various formats, written, oral and visual.
- Leadership: Confident, mature and emotionally intelligent with the ability to inspire others to perform at a high level in a fast-paced, multitasking environment. A proven track record of leading projects and teams that successfully achieve milestones and complete deliverables.
- Results-Oriented: A driver who possesses the ability to take action and implement solutions in a timely manner, in parallel, in high-pressure fast-paced environment.
- Problem Solving: A creative yet pragmatic and practical problem solver who develops solutions that delight customers and enable channel partners to succeed. Methodical, hands-on and detail-oriented.
- Analytical Thinking and Decision-Making: Ability to understand market trends/issues and develop marketing and business strategies to mitigate risk and leverage opportunities. Thoroughly and logically evaluates issues and acts decisively without over-analyzing. Applies an appropriate amount of analysis to achieve business objectives.
- Execution mentality: Excellent planning, execution and people management skills for fast, efficient and effective management of teams to deliver results.
- Software proficiency: Excellent software skills including Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint. Comfortable leveraging Social Media Platforms, including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and YouTube.
- Teamwork: A team player and team builder, receptive to ideas from others. Shares information and keeps team members and partners informed. Works effectively with others to overcome challenges.
- Interpersonal skills: Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to interact successfully with all levels of management as well as a diverse work force. Leverages the talents of other team members and departments to achieve objectives.
- Ethics: Highest level of professional integrity and honesty as well as personal credibility.
BAC is a division of Amsted Industries, a 100% employee-owned company. We offer a very competitive benefit package which includes medical, dental, life, and disability insurance. We also offer two retirement savings programs: (1) an Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP) which is fully company paid and (2) a 401(k) plan. Other benefits include 11 paid holidays per year, vacation time ranging from two to five weeks per year, tuition reimbursement, a wellness program featuring a fitness room at our corporate headquarters and much, much more. Baltimore Aircoil Company is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.