Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota, and locations around the world such as Canada, mountaintops in Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
The Proton Improvement Plan-II (PIP-II) Project seeks a Project Controls Manager to plan, implement and operate the project controls systems for the project. PIP-II is a large multi-faceted and multi-national project that will construct a new superconducting linear accelerator on the Fermilab site to provide powerful, high intensity proton beams to the laboratory’s experiments. Fermilab has overall management responsibility for this highly international project. The PIP-II Project Controls Manager will oversee the system of measuring the cost and schedule performance of the Project using Earned Value techniques, and will coordinate the efforts of Project Controls Specialists at Fermilab and at other collaborating institutions.
- Work with the PIP-II team to develop, implement, and maintain the project controls system and Earned Value Management System (EVMS) in accordance with Fermilab and DOE standards.
- Develop and maintain a fully integrated Resource Loaded Schedule for the project.
- Develop and maintain the earned value (EV) data using the cost processor software and provide expertise on enhancements as the subject matter expert.
- Perform project EV data analysis in conjunction with the Control Account Managers (CAM). Develop metrics to analyze project performance and generate monthly reports for the senior management team and DOE.
- Work with the project’s technical staff, project management, and functional managers to:
- develop resource needs (Labor and M&S) and the project’s Basis of Estimate (BOE); incorporate changes to the schedule and baseline
- process Estimate to Complete (ETC) updates to generate the project’s Estimate at Completion (EAC)
- manage and maintain the project’s Change Control process
- perform Baseline Changes and Variance analysis, and implement corrective actions
- develop the project’s cost estimates, monthly status and performance reporting
- develop presentations about the project schedules, resources, and project performance
- Lead training and direct junior staff in maintaining the correct application and implementation of Earned Value Management (EVM) requirements as defined by DOE Order 413.B; provide supervision to staff members within the project controls functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Abide by and be responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
- Respect, understand and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
- Abide by all environmental, safety, and health regulations.
- Work may require up to 10% travel.
We Are Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management or similar discipline.
- 8+ years’ experience in Project Management required.
- 8+ years’ experience in project controls on projects required.
- Expert level skills with Primavera P6 required.
- Expert level skills with Deltek Cobra cost processor required.
- Supervisory experience/experience leading groups and teams on large projects required.
- Experience with MS Office and Excel including Pivot tables.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience using an ANSI-748 compliant Earned Value Management System (EVMS) is highly desirable
- Experience on Department of Energy (DOE) projects under DOE 0413.3 is advantageous.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental concentration, sitting, standing, tight work schedule
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.