Open date: December 5, 2018
Close date: January 2, 2019
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and in locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world.
Fermilab seeks a highly motivated Electrical Engineer in the Accelerator Division RF Department’s High-Level RF Group to support expanding project needs. The selected candidate will work in a design team environment under the supervision of a scientist or a more senior engineer. The selected candidate will work with high power RF systems (e.g. kilowatt solid state amplifiers, 200 kilowatt tetrode RF amplifiers, and 5 megawatt klystron amplifiers with associated support hardware), high frequency analog and digital circuit design, and assist with RF systems operation and maintenance. They will have the opportunity to work closely with signals and systems directly affecting accelerator performance as well as have opportunities for hands-on learning of particle accelerator systems.
- Assist in the development, fabrication, and testing of tunable high-power copper accelerating structures (ferrite loaded RF cavities).
- Design, develop, implement and maintain hardware for the high-power RF systems. This includes low level control circuitry to high power RF amplifiers with resonant structures.
- Collaborate with technical staff to verify system functionality and performance.
- Perform engineering analysis, write reports and create presentations on a computer.
- Respect, understand, and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
- Abide by all environment, safety, and health regulations.
We Are Looking For
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution or an equivalent scientific education with a strong background in Electricity and Magnetism (E&M). Master’s Degree preferred.
- 0 - 3 years of relevant work experience or academic projects.
- Knowledgeable of high power design and implementation.
- Some experience maintaining hardware for high power RF systems desirable.
- Knowledgeable of high frequency analog circuits.
- Knowledgeable of practical digital circuit design.
- Strong understanding of RF/Microwave fundamentals
- Hands-on electronics hardware experience with oscilloscopes, signal generators, network analyzers, and spectrum analyzers is required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to work in a team environment
- Must be able to see the big picture and pay attention to details while performing problem solving analysis on a flexible range of tasks.
- Must be able to meet qualifications (oxygen deficiency hazard) for occasional work in an area with cryogens or interlocked area.
- Experience with Microwave Studio, HFSS, Mathematica, MatLab, LabView, and ADS HF/microwave software preferred
- Experience with resonant cavity structures, copper and superconducting desirable.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
The position is normally scheduled for a daytime shift, though occasional off-shift machine studies and/or emergency call-ins shall be required as knowledge and skills develop.
HUMAN FACTORS: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Standing, Tight Work Schedule, Visually Demanding
CHEMICAL FACTORS: Solvents
PHYSICAL FACTORS: High Magnetic Field, High Voltage, Oxygen Deficiency Hazard
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.