Open Date: March 2, 2018
Close Date: June 12, 2018
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory seeks a highly qualified candidate for a postdoctoral Research Associate position in its Proton Source Department to work on the H- ion source research and development.
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory is planning to develop an exciting H- source R&D program that will advance the state of the art in H- ion production. An experimental facility for research and development is available for testing improved sources. The test facility has been recently upgraded to match the operational systems.
Positions are for an initial period of up to three (3) years, with the potential for extension considered on a yearly basis thereafter.
- Be intimately involved in the design, construction, commissioning and carrying out of physics experiments of H-ion sources at the experimental facility.
- Focus of experiments will be developing a CW Penning ion source which would be compatible with current operations as well as the Fermilab Proton Improvement Plan II.
- The range of activities will also include ion source modeling, interpretation and scientific publication of experimental results. It is also expected that the candidate participates in HEP operations.
We Are Looking For
- PhD in Accelerator Physics or a related discipline by the time of the appointment.
- Strong record of recent accomplishments in experimental physics.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as demonstrated by presentations at conferences and a record of publication(s) in peer-reviewed journals.
- Candidate must demonstrate some ability in engineering and mechanical design, some knowledge of high voltage and high vacuum systems.
- Candidate must have some programming ability and be able to learn how to run programs like SIMION and PBGuns.
- Candidate must work a flex schedule and be able to thrive in a team environment.
- Respect, understand and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
- Abide by all environment, safety and health regulations.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
- Human factors: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Visually Demanding.
- Physical Factors: Confined Space, Ionizing Radiation, Oxygen Deficiency Hazard, High Voltage.
- Ability to work underground and climb stairs.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.