Fermilab VetTech Internship Program
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and at locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
A Fermilab VetTech is a military veteran intern who provides routine technical support for an assigned experiment or support group. The program assumes apprenticeship level expertise, general military experience and/or knowledge based on academic study.
A VetTech Procurement Intern will assist with the acquisition of equipment, materials, and services required to support the mission of the laboratory. Tasks are accomplished under the general supervision of procurement administrators in cooperation with internal customers, governing bodies, project teams, support personnel, and subcontractors and in accordance with established procurement policies and procedures, contract law, commercial practice and applicable federal procurement regulations.
The intern may gain exposure to acquisition planning, selection of qualified subcontractors, solicitation and evaluation of proposals, conducting price and cost analysis, understanding the negotiation of subcontract terms and conditions, drafting contractual instruments, obtaining approvals, awarding subcontracts, and performing subcontract administration which includes ensuring the completeness, organization, and accuracy of the subcontract and associated documentation.
- Military experience
- Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the U.S.
DO NOT submit the application until you have uploaded the documents required and filled out the questionnaire.
- Online application and Questionnaire
- Discharge Papers
- Unofficial transcript (optional)
- Complete a 10-week program under supervision of Fermilab employee
- Application Period: December 4, 2020 – March 2, 2021
- Program Dates: June 7 - August 13, 2021
- Acceptance Date: May 2021
- Salary: $20.00 per hour
- Housing: Not provided or arranged by program.
- Transportation: Not provided or arranged by program.
For further information:
What is your degree of proficiency (1-Expert; 2-Working Knowledge; 3-Not Familiar)
- Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR)
- The acquisition of routine to complex equipment, material and service procurements
- Planning and developing subcontracting requirements with customers
- Buy American Act
- Service Contract Act
- Davis-Bacon Act
- Government regulations and procurement laws
Rate your strengths (1-Strongest; 2-Strong; 3-Least strong)
- Analytical Skills
- Customer Service Excellence
- 2-5 years procurement experience (government contractor, U.S. military, university, municipality, federal government)
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.