Open Date: April 30, 2021
Close Date: October 17, 2021
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
Would you like to create the 3D model and 2D drawings of a complex electro-mechanical device from start to finish? Would you like a drafting job where no two days are alike? Are you looking for a job where you work daily with a variety of people: engineers, CAD designers/drafters, technicians, scientists? Are you seeking a job where your work advances knowledge for the benefit of humankind?
Come join one of the crown jewels of the United States’ research and innovation ecosystems: Fermilab is America’s premier national laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and at locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole. We are 1,800 employees, made up of engineers, scientists, technicians, designers/drafters and administrative professionals. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world.
Come join a diverse team of talented and dedicated mechanical engineers, CAD designers and drafters, and technicians who make up the Accelerator Division’s Mechanical Support Department. We are seeking a Mechanical Drafter who is a collaborator by nature. The successful candidate will work with engineers, other designers and drafters, technicians and scientists to use computer-aided design (CAD) software in the creation of models and drawings. We design accelerator components (beamline assemblies, magnet stands, beam instrumentation, vacuum systems and components, and associated tooling) for future accelerators like the Long Baseline Neutrino Facility (LBNF) and Proton Improvement Plan II (PIP-II) while operating the existing accelerator complex.
- Create and modify simple 3D models and 2D drawing packages following parametric and feature-based modeling practices using Siemens NX
- Use Siemen Teamcenter’s workflow process to check and release drawings and provide revision control
- Create, check, and revise CAD drawings in compliance with the ASME Y14.5 – 2018 Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Work within multiple design teams comprised of engineers, scientists, designers, drafters, and technicians, throughout the drawing release/revision process. Support activities that communicate drawing requirements and resolve drawing issues with other functional departments.
- Collaborate with multiple design teams to optimize the design of beam lines, vacuum systems, magnetic and radiation shielding, and assembly tooling.
We are looking for:
- Associates Degree in a Design/Drafting Program or 3+ years of work experience as a mechanical CAD designer using a commercial 3D CAD software is required.
- Must show demonstrated ability in parametric and feature-based modeling of components.
- Must show demonstrated ability to create and maintain complex assemblies using arrangements.
- Must show demonstrated ability to independently interpret and apply the ASME Y14.5-2018 Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standards.
- Must show demonstrated ability to complete tolerance stack studies.
- Must show demonstrated ability to translate CAD data (i.e. DXF, IGES, STP, DWG) as required.
- 1 to 2 years of experience with Siemens NX 9.0 or greater is preferred.
- Design experience with manufacturing methods such as weldments and extrusions are preferred.
- Design experience with machining methods such as milling, drilling, tapping, and boring are preferred.
- Experience and familiarity with inspection methods such as coordinate measuring machines (CMM), table layout, and functional gauging are preferred.
- Responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, safety and health regulations, Laboratory policies, procedures and practices pertinent to this position.
- Must have good oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must show demonstrated ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Experience in achieving team leadership responsibilities is preferred.
Relocation is not available for this position.
Physical Activity and Work Requirements
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Tight Work Schedules, Visually Demanding
All FRA employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19, unless the employee is legally entitled to an accommodation based on a medical condition/disability or a sincerely held religious belief.