Open Date: October 2, 2020
Close Date: November 1, 2020
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
Fermilab’s Environmental, Safety, and Health Section is seeking an Environmental, Safety and Health Specialist. Under direct supervision, performs assigned tasks involved in carrying out and monitoring the Laboratory's Environmental, Safety and Health programs in compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal regulations, requirements and standards and all Department of Energy (DOE) orders.
- Enters and maintains records on a variety of databases and generates reports; develops and modifies reports as assigned.
- Conducts basic ESH inspections and investigations.
- Takes samples for environmental or industrial hygiene monitoring as assigned.
- Assist in monitoring the Laboratory's ESH policies, programs, procedures and standards.
- Implement policies and procedures regarding safe working methods, inspection standards and emergency procedures.
- Assist in supporting Division, Section and Project ESH programs
- Perform standard measurements, surveys and tests; analyzes data and makes appropriate recommendations.
- Provide technical guidance for various safety issues.
- Serve on a laboratory ESH subcommittees and ad hoc groups.
- Present established employee training programs.
- Abide by and is responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor's degree in ESH discipline or related field with 0-2 yrs experience.
- Familiarity with OSHA 1910 Standards. DOE 10 CFR 851 a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Must communicate effectively both in writing and orally.
- Must work cooperatively with a diverse group of professional and scientific personnel.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Standing, Tight Work Schedule, Visually Demanding
- Ability and willingness to work additional hours beyond the normal work day when required to meet deadlines.
- Working outdoors in hot and cold weather.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
Relocation is available
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Underrepresented groups/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.