Open Date: May 4, 2021
Close Date: June 18, 2021
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and at locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
Fermilab’s Accelerator Division is responsible for operating, maintaining and improving the largest accelerator complex in the U.S. We drive scientific discovery in accelerator science and technology, computer science and high energy physics (HEP) research.
The Accelerator Division Controls Department seeks a motivated Computer Science Researcher III to lead the laboratory’s effort to research, develop and implement Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning (AI/ML) capabilities for accelerator research and operations. The individual will play a key role in developing AI/ML applications as part of a large-scale modernization project of the laboratory’s accelerator control system. Recent successes in applying AI/ML have resulted in significant improvements in beam physics and HEP detector performance at Fermilab, and AI/ML applications are expected to play a significant role in future accelerator operations, machine protection, detector performance and robotics.
- Lead research and analysis of architecture, design and implementation of AI/ML systems and components.
- Engage scientific, engineering, and IT professionals by providing expertise in the application of AI/ML to Laboratory projects and collaborations.
- Act as a lead author on technical notes and peer-reviewed papers.
- Participate at a leadership level in formulating research activities, proposals, designs and implementations.
- Engage users in gathering requirements and models for accelerator projects.
- Communicate and coordinate between multiple projects and teams involving other technical personnel and external researchers in the field.
- Contributes effectively within a diverse workforce and upholds Fermilab’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
We are looking for
- Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Physics or related field with minimum 2+ years of AI/ML research experience, or M.S. degree in Computer Science or Physics with 6+ years of AI/ML research experience.
- Must have demonstrated experience conducting independent research and collaborating with colleagues on research projects.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing.
- Must be self-motivated, be adaptable to changing work assignments, have good interpersonal skills and time management skills to work with diverse groups of scientists, engineers and managers.
- A minimum of 2+ years of experience in high energy physics, photon science, accelerator physics or data analytics is highly desirable.
- A minimum of 2+ years of experience with deep learning, active learning, generative modeling or compressive sensing is highly desirable.
- Experience developing use cases for functional requirements analysis is a plus.
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Sitting, Standing, Tight Work Schedule, Visually Demanding
Interested candidates should submit 1) Cover letter, 2) Curriculum Vitae, 3) Publication List
All applicants should submit 2-3 recommendation letters emailed to Dr. Erik E Gottschalk from the reference writers. For general information about this position, please contact Dr. Gottschalk at email@example.com.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is critical to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most talented people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.