Open Date: January 28, 2021
Close Date: February 28, 2021
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and at locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole!
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world.
The Accelerator Division (AD) is seeking a Power Electronics Engineer with experience in power electronics to join the Fermilab team. AD’s Electrical/Electronic Support Department designs, installs, operates, maintains, and repairs DC and pulsed power systems and equipment used to energize particle accelerator and beam-line magnets. AD’s operational power systems generate output voltages as high as 100 kV pulsed or 1kV DC and output currents as high as 250 kA pulsed or 10 kA DC. Electrical/Electronic Support performs the final design, construction and testing on many of these systems to meet unique and ambitious requirements.
- Design, develop and commission new pulsed power supplies and work closely with experienced engineers and technicians to upgrades to existing pulsed systems.
- Prepare and test high-voltage components and control electronics for operation.
- Perform operational, hands-on support activities on high power system electronics, including analog sampling and regulation, digital status and control, system timing and triggering, and component interlocks.
- Write specifications and test procedures for high-voltage and high-current components and equipment, including capacitor-charging power supplies, transformers, power-switching devices and coaxial cables.
- Maintain up-to-date documentation including mechanical and electrical assembly drawings, electrical schematics, etc.
- Abides by and is responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety regulations and practices pertinent to this position.
We Are Looking For
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Applied Physics or related field from an ABET accredited institution and at least 3 years of power electronics professional experience OR a Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution and 1 year of power electronics professional experience
- Demonstrated ability to learn new concepts and ideas. The successful candidate will work under the general direction of more experienced engineers.
- Knowledge and experience in the fundamentals of circuit theory; some knowledge of electromagnetic components a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with an analog circuit simulation program; LTSpice or PSpice experience preferred.
- Knowledge of computer aided drafting tools; AutoCAD or Altium schematic capture experience a plus
- Experience with test equipment (voltmeters, oscilloscopes and signal generators)
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Power Point or similar office suite.
- Ability to read and interpret circuit schematics and manufacturers’ manuals (or similar documents)
- Possess a valid driver’s license and be able to work occasional overtime and call-ins to help solve operational problems
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
HUMAN FACTORS: Mental concentration, repetitive motion, sitting, standing, tight work schedule, visually demanding
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Underrepresented groups/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply