Open Date: July 12, 2021
Close Date: August 12, 2021
Fermilab is America’s best-in-class laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole!
Applied Physics and Superconducting Technology Division (APS-TD) is seeking a Senior Cryogenics Fabrication Technician. Under limited supervision and based on extensive experience, academic study, and/or expertise, provides sophisticated technical support for an area of assignment, typically an experimental or support group. Depending on the area of assignment, fabricates, sets-up, calibrates, operates, tests, repairs, and modifies a wide variety of complex mechanical equipment, systems, and devices, or performs ESH&Q duties including environmental surveys and waste disposal.
You Will :
- Fabricate, assemble, install, calibrate, and removes a variety of complex mechanical devices, parts, controls and sub-assemblies for Laboratory projects/equipment based on drawings, diagrams and schematics. Assist in construction and assembly of experiment and support equipment for. Prepare set-up for testing phases of equipment. Prepare and test equipment for operation using appropriate diagnostic software.
- Generate, or assist in generating Hazard Analyses for work requiring such.
- Write standard methodology procedures and documentation for all finished work. Enters relevant work information into a database and/or personal logbook(s). Produce reports as assigned.
- Electronically prepare and compile technical data and safety records for equipment using databases, spreadsheets and other appropriate computing software and programs.
- Perform preventive and sophisticated maintenance for a wide variety of instruments and equipment, troubleshooting of problems and repairs as needed. Responds to and leads operational and emergency requirements of area.
- Conduct periodic safety inspections. Assist in performing radioactive and chemical waste pick-ups, waste segregation, and related documentation. Prepare waste for disposal and packages waste for shipment.
- Procure and maintain inventories of small parts, supplies, materials, and equipment.
- Assist in the design and development of equipment and systems including providing engineering support activities to assigned projects or tasks.
- Direct and assist the work of lower level technicians. As assigned, serve as the lead technician or shift supervisor for specific group projects or tasks.
- Required to work in potential oxygen deficient and high noise level areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Abide by and is responsible for performing all duties in accordance with all environmental, health and safety laws, Laboratory policies, procedures and practices pertinent to this position.
- Contributes optimally within a diverse workforce and upholds Fermilab’s dedication to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
We Are Looking For:
- High school graduate or equivalent with technical certificate and plus 6+ years of extensive experience.
- Advanced knowledge of hand and power tools
- Experience operating forklifts, overhead cranes, articulating and scissors lifts.
- Knowledge of machining and welding practices.
- Experience in use and maintenance of helium mass spectrometer machines.
- Experience in use and maintenance of small to medium size vacuum pumps and boosters.
- Knowledge of instrument and vacuum fittings.
- Knowledge of pipe and tubing fittings and practices.
- Experience with cryogenics is helpful.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Heavy lifting, mental concentration, repetitive motion, sitting, standing, tight work schedule
Chemical Factors: Acid/bases, chemicals, fumes, hydrofluoric acid, solvents
Biological Factors: Cryogens, oxygen deficiency hazards
Personal Proactive Equipment: Eye/Face/Hand/Foot Protection
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.