Open Date: February 18, 2020
Close Date: March 18, 2020
Who We Are:
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois as well as other locations around the world including; deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and additionally the South Pole.
Thousands of scientists and engineers use Fermilab’s facilities to conduct pioneering particle physics research. At Fermilab, we develop and maintain the environment, safety and health programs that will ensure excellence in Environmental, Health, & Safety (ESH) and fully support the mission of the laboratory.
Fermilab’s ES&H Section seeks an Industrial Hygienist. Under general supervision of Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Safety Group Leaders, the selected candidate will implement, maintain, train and evaluate environmental, safety and health programs, procedures, and standards to maintain a safe, healthy environment in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations, requirements and standards and all DOE orders.
TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION PROCESS, PLEASE UPLOAD A WRITING SAMPLE IN THE ADDITIONAL MATERIALS SECTION
- Implement Environmental Safety Health and Quality (ESH&Q) procedures, systems and programs in the area of expertise to meet ESH&Q objectives
- Assist in monitoring the Laboratory's ESH&Q policies, programs, procedures, and standards
- Perform industrial hygiene assessments and sampling of various lab facilities and activities
- Conduct inspections and accident/injury investigations, and recommend appropriate actions
- Implement policies and procedures regarding safe working methods, inspection standards, and emergency procedures
- Maintain records and documents, and prepares routine reports utilizing complex databases
- Verify and document the skills and knowledge of Lab personnel and their compliance with ESH&Q requirements
- Install and maintain ESH&Q equipment and compliance mechanisms
- Perform standard measurements, surveys, and tests; analyze data and make appropriate recommendations
- Provide technical assistance to line staff as assigned by the supervisor
- Serve on laboratory ESH&Q subcommittees and ad hoc groups; may serve as chair of the subcommittee, or chair divisional/sectional/center committees and projects
- Present established employee training programs
- Respects understands and values individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
- Abide by all environment, safety, and health regulations.
We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor of Science in an ES&H discipline (Occupational Safety, Environmental Health, Industrial Hygiene) or similar degree
- 3+ years’ experience in Industrial Hygiene
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) a plus
- Ergonomics experience a plus
- Excellent oral and written presentation skills required
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Heights, Mental Concentration, Sitting, Standing, Tight Work Schedule, Work Outdoors
Chemical Factors: Acid/Bases, Asbestos, Chemicals, Epoxies, Fumes, Solvents
Physical Factors: Confined Space, Cold/Dry/Hot/Wet Environment, High Magnetic Field, High Noise Level, Ionizing Radiation, Oxygen Deficiency Hazard
PPE: Eye/Face/Foot/Hand/Hearing Protection
Biological Factors: Insects
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.