Open Date: December 6, 2019
Close Date: July 15, 2020
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois as well as other locations around the world including; deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and additionally the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, and administrative professionals. We are an organization with over 1,800 employees working towards advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of Particle Physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze data from those experiments through some of the most powerful equipment and technology in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
Fermilab Internal Audit Department seeks highly qualified candidates for an Audit Specialist position. Under general directions of the Internal Audit Services Manager, and based on advanced knowledge, expertise and extensive experience of accepted auditing practices and standards as promulgated by the Institute of Internal Auditors develops audit programs for financial and operational audits. Performs financial and operational audits and special reviews of differing magnitude and complexity which may include reviewing information technology processes and systems. Operates with significant latitude for un-reviewed decisions or actions.
Respects understands and values individual differences that embody the principles of diversity. Abide by all environment, safety, and health regulations.
- Conducts audits to verify financial integrity and compliance with laws and regulations, professional, Fermilab and DOE standards, the economy and efficiency of operations. Confers with the Internal Audit Services Manager, appropriate counselor subject matter expert on complex or unusual needs or findings.
- Conducts audits to verify Accounting, Operation, and Information Technology processes and audit work assigned by Internal Audit Services Manager and work with Internal Audit Services Manager to recommend as needed Accounting, Operation, and Information Technology control improvements
- Determines and performs detailed audit procedures that support internal control reporting: identifies and defines issues, develops judgment criteria, reviews and analyzes evidence, prepares work papers, develops and documents audit issues and recommendations. Coordinates audit work with personnel as appropriate.
- Prepares and submits reports on results of audits, recommends improvements in procedures and practices where appropriate; discusses findings and recommendations with audited individual(s); routinely verifies and documents implementation of agreed upon changes.
- Maintains and improves skills in accounting, information systems, and other areas as necessary. Participates in quality assurance and collaborative activities to ensure compliance with professional standards.
- Assists with development and implementation of procedures and methodologies for the internal audit activity.
- Utilizes software tools to automate the audit process and analyze data on computer systems.
- Determines whether or not costs proposed and incurred are accurate, properly supported, and reasonable in accordance with procurement regulations and contract terms for subcontract audits.
- May supervise other auditors or assigned specialists as needed; provides training to auditing staff as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by reporting manager.
We Are Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, business, or information technology
- 3-5 years of experience in external audit, internal auditor testing/reviewing for compliance of business controls
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate to all levels of management
- Experience in state or regulatory audits
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, & PowerPoint) applications required
- Willingness to travel domestically 10%-20% annually
- Big 4 experience, preferred
- Government auditing and/or compliance experience preferred
- CIA, CISA, CISM, CISSP, or CPA certifications, preferred
- Experience with data query tools such as ACL or IDEA preferred
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Mental Concentration, Repetitive Motion, Sitting, Standing, Tight Work Schedule, and Visually Demanding.
Willingness to travel domestically 10%-20% annually.
Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is America’s particle physics and accelerator laboratory.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.