Open Date: October 22, 2021
Close Date: January 23, 2022
Summer Internships in Science and Technology (SIST)
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and at locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators, and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 50 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie, 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
A SIST intern is a current undergraduate sophomore or junior student majoring in physics, engineering (mechanical, electrical and computer), materials science, mathematics, and computer science. Eligible students must be enrolled in four-year colleges and universities in the United States. SIST aims to increase the representation of underrepresented groups (Black, Hispanic/Latino, Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Alaska Native/American Indian) and women in scientific research and the engineering workforce.
Program Webpage: http://internships.fnal.gov/summer-internships-in-science-and-technology-sist/
Program Dates: May 23 - August 12, 2022
- Undergraduate sophomore or junior at time of application
- 4-year U.S. college or university enrollment
- 3.0 grade point average or above on a 4.0 scale
- Eligible to work in the United States
Application Requirements: DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETED ALL FOUR REQUIREMENTS THE SAME DAY THAT YOU APPLY.
- Application questionnaire
- Unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation (must be professors from your college/university - provide contact information and we will send a link to your references to upload the letters
- Attendance at the Undergraduate Lecture Series
- Presentation abstract (150 words)
- Oral presentation
- Poster presentation
- Written research project report
- Application Period: October 22, 2021 - January 23, 2022
- Program Dates: May 23 - August 12, 2022
- Acceptance Date: March 2022
- Freshman - $15.84 per hour
- Sophomore - $21.00 per hour
- Junior - $23.00 per hour
- Senior - $25.00 per hour
- Transportation: Round trip airfare, or mileage reimbursement if the permanent address is more than 50 miles from host laboratory
- Housing: Arranged housing partially subsidized by program
For further information:
FRA encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated and boostered to prevent transmission of COVID-19 and to mitigate against severe illness from infection. Upon employment with FRA, all employees must state their vaccination status. In order to work onsite at Fermilab locations (Batavia, IL and Lead, SD), all unvaccinated employees are required to submit proof of a negative covid test taken within 72 hours of arriving onsite. Please note that all vaccination and testing requirements are subject to change.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is critical to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factor.